Friday, March 11, 2005

Beedutt

When I was a child, about Nick's age, I was afraid of dust bunnies. I called them "beedutts". A cross between bug, implying it was a living, intelligent creature, and dust. Which was dust. Gathers in clumps in the dark spaces under furniture. I thought they were alive and scuttled about. So, when I saw one, I usually freaked out, and ran away crying "Beedutt! Beedutt!".
We have more than a few beedutts in our apartment. I'm pretty sure if Nick thought they were alive, he'd be amused. He would think it was funny. And that's the difference between Father and Son. Where I was afraid, he would be amused.
Of course, I could make him afraid of them. Hehehe... evil laughter.
Perhaps instead I will write him a story about Beedutt, the brave dust bunny who has many adventures exploring his world, avoiding big, silly cats. I like that better.

No comments: