Wednesday, July 27, 2005

You're not my friend!

So, I get home from work today, and I'm hot as hell. The house is hot and stuffy, and KG wasn't home yet. I grabbed my ice coffee and cigs, and went out on the porch for a smoke. I figured I'd have a nice, relaxing 10 minutes or so to myself.
Not so. In case I've neglected to mention it before, we've got a bit of a squirrel problem here. They'e been using the trees as a bridge to the roof, and have been nesting in the attic for at least a year now. When we still lived upstairs, we could hear them up there, chittering and running around and such. Since we've moved downstairs, it's not as much of a problem. It's actually been kind of amusing to watch them climb up the tree and jump onto the roof. One of them in particular usually pauses over the porch and stares at us.
Well, I'm out there this afternoon, trying to chill, when I hear a rustling at he base of the tree. I look over, and it's the nosey squirrel. He started to head toward the porch. No big deal, I figured he'd scamper off through the yard.
Nope... he scampered right up the steps and headed for me.
Being the brave soul I am, I jumped out of my seat with a startled yelp. He was between me and the door, so I had no escape route. I yelled some more, along the lines of "shit!" and "what the fuck?!?". He kept coming! I figured jumping out of my seat would scare him off, but again I was wrong. I grabbed the chair and put it between us, thrusting it at him. He started to turn tail, then came at me again. Scampering left and right, those little beady black eyes staring at me.
Now, some people might have yelled "shoo" or "get out of here." Me, what did I yell to scare off my little attacker?
"You're not my friend!!"
I have no idea where that came from, but it did the trick. He turned around, ran up the tree, and jumped on the roof. He paused, as usual, to stare down at me. And I'll be damned if he didn't look a little sad that I had thwarted his freindly gesture.
Sorry, guy. First off, you're a rat. Second, there's this thing called rabies, and I don't want anything to do with it. And lastely, you are not my friend.

1 comment:

Rev. Molius said...

i started picturing Willy's grey bellied nut hatchers chasing after you as i was reading that. very funny.

next time, start running towards it and try to play kick the squirrel.