Sunday, February 26, 2006

All we are are Hanes in the wind

KG and I are going through some pretty serious housecleaning. Making room for the new arrival in April.

Tonight I found a pile of old T shirts on the bed. Shirts KG was planning on giving to Goodwill.

I personally can't bear to part with most of my old T shirts. They are very much like photos or postcards. Each one is a snapshot of some point in my life. As a result, I have well over 100 T shirts. Most of which I never wear. I managed to tlak KG into keeping most of them. I felt the pain of their loss even if she didn't.

They had all come out of a box that had been in the spare room. In tribute to the Ts that almost found there way in to the thrift store system, here they are:

White Houston Shakespeare Festival 1990. Had a portrait of the Bard done in a collage.

Gray T with John Tenniel's "Illustration of Alice" on the front.

Black that read "Behind every great woman is a great women's college. Smith 1994". She doesn't know it, but I actually took this one to wear myself.

Gray Delekta Pharmacy shirt with a drawing on the back of a soda fountain reading "Home of the World's 'Most Delektable' Coffee Cabinet.

White Simpons family portrait circa 1989.

Black with red lips reading "Spoken Word 729 HOPE Providence."

White Trinity College.

White with RI Rhode Island logo

White with graphic of the globe being held in a hand, reads "The Whole Tribe."

White PBS Mystery! logo with Edward Gorey drawing.

White Simpsons 2 sided family pic with Sebadoh logo superimposed on it. The story I hear is that on one tour Sebadoh used second hand Ts for all their tour shirts.

White 2 sided Animaniacs logo.

Gray Oxford Crew with crossed oars. Purchased while KG attended Oxford.

White Smith College Alumnae.

Gray Mickey Mouse graphic.

The college shirts I told her she couldn't get rid of. No one else should be able to wear them, and it's the only proof that she did go.

Still in the box was a black Club Babyhead T, along with a black Touisset Point Country Club shirt. And a Kbco Polarized Lenses shirt.

I had planned, back before my digital camera broke, to take a picture of both KG and myself wearing every single one of our T shirts. There are quite a few I could part with if I had a picture. It's more the memory the shirt evokes than the shirt itself.

I'll put it on the to do list.

2 comments:

Names said...

dude, you gotta let that shit go.
T-shirts were meant to exist in the moment. They are a product of their time and place. They truly are meant to be hanes in the wind. That said I can't let go of my Metallica shirt from a 1986 show that was immediately post C Burton's death.
so, what the fuck do I know?

Mike said...

So, I had the same problem many years ago and solved it by cutting out the important part/parts of all my T-shirts. Why? To make a quilt of course.

These pieces, cut many years ago, are still in a box somewhere.

Anyway, I know the whole idea's a bit Martha Stewart, but it's still a great idea, so I figured someone else would've thought of it by now and they did.

http://www.goosetracks.com/TshirtQuilt.html

It's a bit pricey, but you don't even have to cut the shirts yourself!