Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sexism in my cereal bowl?

It's no secret to those that know me that I am passionate about my breakfast cereals. For dinner tonight, I had a heaping bowl of Cap'n Crunch (Note: I have not eaten my favorite, Crunch Berries, since they introduced the multicolored balls. All red or none at all for me!). I've often expounded at length on both my love for cereals, and my sadness at the passing of my favorite brands.

That said, it never occurred to me that there is not one female breakfast cereal mascot. It's all franks and beans.

Sure, there has been the occasional female product placement (Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake). But every cartoon spokesman is just that, a man. Or male. Even Pebbles, named after a female character, is represented by Fred and Barney.

What's up with that?

No comments: