Monday, March 24, 2014

ADD is a misnomer

The problem with ADD is not actually a deficit of attention. Rather, it's an abundance.

Excluding hyperactivity (which I have never had, and why I wasn't diagnosed as a child), the two chief issues I have is too much attention and hyperfocus.

I'm able to give attention to something, for sure. Usually too much attention. The problem is, so many other things attract my attention, and I often move on before finishing whatever I was previously attending to. Hyperfocus is when my attention becomes narrowed to down to one thing, at the exclusion of all others.

Case in point: I just finished reading this entire blog. That's my major accomplishment for the past 18 hours. Yay me!

Update: Apparently I was so proud of my accomplishment, I did nothing else today. Yay me squared!

No comments: