Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sympathetic Syncope?

Strange day today.

I'm on my second day of not smoking. I had 2 butts total today. One this morning around 10 and the other around 2:45 in the afternoon.

This afternoon, prior to having a smoke, I was in one of the clinical managers' office having a discussion. Suddenly I felt kind of dizzy. Weird, but since I was talking to a soul sucker, I figured it was just the draining effect of her personality working on me.

Well, some time went by, and as I sat quietly at my desk I kept having dizzy spells. Mind you, I was seated and resting. So, I decided to have someone take my blood pressure.

First reading : 122/90. Not good. Hypertensive. I was a tad concerned. Mostly because it was late afternoon, so the Adderol was wearing off, I hadn't had a coffee since lunch, and I wasn't smoking. Those were all the things I could think of that tend to raise your blood pressure.

The girl that gave me the reading suggested I get another one before leaving work. She was concerned about me driving home. I didn't think the situation was that bad, but hey... she's a nurse, I'm not.

Anyway, I sat down with her as I was leaving. This time: 140/90. She was upset. Made me promise to call her when I got home.

I got to the car, called my wife. Typical KG, she was an asshole about it.

Me: Had a bit of a scare just now. Got my bp read, I'm hypertensive.
KG: Why did you get your blood pressure read?
Me: I was having dizzy spells! Besides, I'm supposed to monitor it.
KG: That's great. I have high blood pressure, and now you do too. You should rest. I'll take care of everything tonight...
Me: bye.

I hung up on her. She's 8 months pregnant, so i can't bitch too much. But... did it ever cross her mind that maybe the fact that her bp is high and she might be confined to bed rest for the remainder of her term MIGHT HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON MY STRESS LEVEL??? Hey, she's carrying a baby, and fucked up shit happens to your body. High blood pressure is a normal potential risk. Me, I'm 33 and a male. High blood pressure like that is unusual and potentially serious. On top of it all, I wasn't really that woried about it. I was just calling to share the information and have a chuckle over how worried the ladies I work with get about such things.

Some days, I really wish I was fucking gay. At least I'd ne able to understand the people I'm attracted to.

2 comments:

Names said...

dude, that don't make it easier. believe me...Sometimes I don't understand a fuckin thing.

Mike said...

ditto

almost worse actually, because there's no "oh well, i'll never understand the oposite gender" escape clause to end a silly argument