Monday, April 23, 2007

Elvis Presley and America

I had one of those moments today. The kind where a random song strikes a chord deep within your soul, awakening some old, dusty emotion.

Happenstance of an iPod shuffle brings to mind a girl I once loved. My first, and to date longest, love. High school sweethearts growing up together, growing apart together.

Things ended badly between us, and I spend my days rarely thinking about her. Even rarer are the moments I reflect on the actual love we shared, and the various emotions she stirred in me when things were new and healthy.

And suddenly, here in my ears was a song that remind me so much of her. I've never understood the lyrics, and I always preferred it that way. Somehow not understanding the words allowed a more intimate and emotional message to be conveyed.

On this radiant and warm spring day I allowed memory to wash over me. A tired smile played upon my lips, and I became wistful.

Heather, I hope you are well. I hope you are happy. I know I am. I may have been a wreck the last time you cared to know me, but I have changed much since then. In some ways, I have changed not at all.

Be that as it may, you helped to shape me. You were fundamental in making me the man I am today. I give thanks to you for that, and for the good times we had, the friends we shared. I will cherish those days always. As for the rest, I will retain the lessons I learned.

You know
Like no one told you how
But you know
Though the king that howls has howled
But you feel like sentimental
But you don't care
If I just share it in your heart

No comments: