Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Instant Karma

Yesterday was one of those days. Cold, rainy, miserable. I had a horrible ride home, and of course there was an inch of standing water inside my car. I stopped at Shaw's for some groceries on the way home.
Gallon of milk, half gallon of soy milk, some Halloween candy, pudding, Smartfood, and a few other things. I used a basket, and it was heavy.
Anyway, I go to the self check-out. There are 3 of them. One is broken. One has a mother with a cart full of groceries and 2 little kids. She's letting the kids scan the items. (Mind you, I'm a Dad and might do the same, but not on a Monday at 5:30 when the place is packed. And not with a freaking cart full of shit). The last one had some dim witted guy who didn't know how to use the check-out. He wasn't bagging his items, just piling them up on the bagging area. He screwed something up and tripped the alert, so we had to wait for a manager to come over and reset it.
At this point, I was getting pretty pissed. I usually don't make noise about these sort of things, but I couldn't stifle a loud sigh. There was a girl behind me with just a cake and a card, and she sighed as well. Being a bit of flirt and a smart ass, I turned to her and said something about how you should be required to be marginally intelligent to use the self check-out. She chuckled in agreement.
So, the dipshit finally finished up and piled his loose groceries into the cart. He took his receipt, and then proceeded to search all over for said receipt. I put my basket down and started my business before he was out of the way.
I scanned my first item, a DiGiorno Pepperoni Pizza. I put the pizza in a bag and scanned the next item.
Before I could get the item in the bag, the register started saying, rather loudly, "Unexpected item in bagging area. Please remove." It refused to shut up until I took the pizza off and placed it on the floor. I went to rescan the next item, but the insipid electronic voice stated "Item removed from bagging area. Please return item to bagging area."
The machine and I went through this a good number of times. I'd put the pizza back, it told me to remove it. I removed it, it told me to put it back.
I had to wait for a manager to come and reset the machine.
So, maybe Earl is right. Next time, I'll keep my comments to myself.
If I find myself in a similiar situation, I guess I'll have to stop and ask myself: What would Earl do?

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dude, that same thing happened to me while we were back. It's not your fault, it's Shaws. They need to make the self scan area friendlier to the single shopper. Waiting for the person in front of you to finish bagging up before you start scanning is not efficient at all and causes unnecessary stress to the person in front of you. (and the people behind you for that matter)

Names said...

hey,
I have had no problems with this device. I'm sorry but I think it is operator error...