Monday, November 21, 2005

Well....

So, Sunday I decided to spend a good portion of my day raking the yard. It's one of those ongoing, never ending projects.
The yard on our side of the house is mostly dirt. The people that used to live down here never raked or weeded. When the new neighbors upstairs cleared the brush, we were left with a big old patch of dirt.
Anyway... I got all the leaves up in that area and started trying to level out the dirt a bit. I've been thinking about plating some grass seed. As I was raking the dirt, I came across a couple of bricks. I dug them out and hucked them into the woods. Then I noticed a big jagged rock sticking out of the ground. Thinking of my tot, I started prying it out. It was pretty loose. All of a sudden my arm started sinking into the ground.
Well, I had stumbled upon a well. Seems someone in the not so distant past decided to cover it up with some big rocks and a lot of dirt. I pulled the rocks out and looked down into a 10 foot hole in my yard. The opening was big enough to swallow a toddler, but not wide enough for me to fit into.
Needless to say, I was horrified and pissed. Granted... I uncovered the thing. That said, it was easy enough to open, easy enough for a little kid.
I wasn't sure what to do with my new discovery. I wanted to go down in and explore, but the opening was tight and there was no way to get a ladder in there. I didn't want to just throw the rocks back on either. So, I started raking all the leaves and sticks and logs and rocks I could find into. A couple hours later, I had pretty much filled it up. Sure, the leaves will settle, but I plan on capping that sucker before I rebury it.
Fucking landlord.

1 comment:

Rev. Molius said...

wouldn't a quick call to the town expedite filling in the well?