Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I wasn't discounted!

Harking back to my days at Equifuck... we had a customer service initiative going on. One of the points they tried to drive into our heads was "don't discount the customer." The analogy was pretty much : treat the customer like shit and you're putting him on the 99 cent rack. I don't know why that stuck with me. But it did.

Anyhow... I had a total of 4 customer service interactions today. As of late, I've really developed a loathing when it comes to shopping. Stupid, poorly trained and slow witted clerks. Apathetic sales people. Understocked, understaffed and overcrowded.

First off was the redemption center. I loaded my car with 580 empty beer and soda bottles. Any time I have to redeem bottles I go to Quincy. The place there, you pile your bottles on the counter, they count them and pay you. No cleaning, sorting or clear bags needed. Today was pleasant, as usual.

Next off was a trip to the most vile of department stores. Fucking Wal*Mart. How I hate fucking Wal*Mart. I bought a Sharpie, some AA batteries, trash bags, and a cool mist humidifier for TKJr. I decided to buy an extra filter, since that usually ends up being a problem later on down the line. So there I am, in the humidifier aisle, vainly searching for extra filters. An associate hurries by me, I pay him no mind. Suddenly, the guy stops, asks if he can help me, and then walks me 2 aisles over to where all the filters are. He finds the right one for the model I have in hand, looked to see if there were anymore, then showed me a spot on the top shelf where he stashed back ups. He instructed me to ask for him in the future if I was in the store seeking a replacement filter.

I was flabbergasted. It was like the Wal*Mart of lore... friendly, helpful service! But it didn't stop there. The cashier was friendly and conversational without being annoying. She was quick. She offered me a large bag for the humidifier. After I was rung up, she held my bag while I picked up the humidifier, then handed me the bag with a smile. Damn!

Next was Dunkins, drive thru. Nothing special, but still pleasant. After that I popped into Building #19 to look for tuxes. No go, so I didn't actually transact while I was there. That said, as I walked toward the exit, I caught a whiff of the worst shit stink death fart I've ever run across. It made my eyes water. Guess I'll have to go to the Garmet District for my monkey suit.

At this point, I was so taken back by my overly pleasant shopping experiences (shit smell aside) that I was contemplating quitting my job so I could shop during the day more often. In hopes of regrounding myself, I darted over to the McDonald's drive thru for a quick lunch. The McD's in Weymouth sucks, and is almost always a painful experience. I was certain that would end this run of happy shiny customer service.

Well, nothing to write home about. No one offered to blow me or anything, but it was quick and I got what I ordered. So I went home.

And that was my day.

4 comments:

Names said...

you should talk to C about buying a tux. there is a place in central square where all the BSO members buy and sell theirs.

TK8103 said...

Thanks for the tip, B. Will do.

Anonymous said...

Weymouth SUCKS. Why my family has chosen to live in such a vacuous, bland town for generations is truly beyond me. I used to have the same experience shopping during the day in Weymouth though.. employees are nicer during the day because they have very few customers to deal with; 80% of the town's population is off working in Boston (and let's face it, being rude is a way of life in Massachusetts.. customers, employees, seemingly almost everyone). The only good thing about Weymouth is that it's an easy town to get OUT of if you live there and want to go somewhere interesting.. being right on I-95 and Route 18.

Anonymous said...

service at the mcdonald's is 10 times worse since they redid the place, too.. they can't get an order right on the slowest of days. you got lucky