Monday, January 23, 2006

What's Up With that?

This is the second time it has happened, so I thought it worth commenting.

Today was one of those messy, wintery New England days. Freezing temps overnight, we wake up to snow. The storm had been forcast. Firefox was giving me severe weather alerts last night. So, I get up this morning, clean the cars off, and prepare for a long, painful commute.

Getting out of Weymouth was bad. The back roads were slick, and cars were all over the place. Slow going. I hit the highway, and.... nothing. Almost no cars on the road. I had no traffic at all until I hit the South Bay Center! My ride home... record time, little over 30 minutes!

Last time a big storm was forecast (which we never got), there was no traffic. I had a great ride in.

So my question is this: All you people who could afford to stay home today because the weather might be bad: Maybe you should take some time to re-examine your priorities? I don't know about anyone else, but snow or no snow, I had to be at work today. If you have a job where you can not go in because the weather is shitty, maybe you shouldn't go in at all. How about staying home on the nice days so those of us slobs who have to drive to our jobs can do so. I can see no logical reason at all for a 25 mile commute to take 60-90 minutes every friggin day. Then, when we get a snow storm, I'm at work in 40 minutes. That's with bad driving conditions.

Seriously. Stay the fuck home. Find another way into work. Do every day what you did today. And let me go where I need to go in a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you. That is all.

No comments: