Monday, August 29, 2005

Help me Jeebus

Since it seems to be such an overwhelmingly difficult concept for some people to grasp, I'm going to spell out, in plain English, some of the more basic policies that the VNAB operates on.

Medicare pays us by 60 day episodes. Every 60 days, a patient needs to be recertified in order for us to continue billing, and thus get paid, by Medicare.
If a patient should be in the hospital on day 60, they have to be discharged and re-admitted when they get out of the hospital.
End of fucking story.
It's a pretty simple concept. In the hospital on day 60, re-admit. Apparently, the good folks in CI can't grasp this concept. It causes a lot of problems. It makes me mad. What would take them 30 seconds to determine if they weren't too god damn lazy to check takes me upwards of 10 hours TO FIX.

Start of Care means just that. The date we started caring for someone. The start date of an admission. And by start, I mean begininning. Now, when CI gets a referral, they put a SOC date in, usually the same date as the referral. So, when Clinician A sees the patient for the first time, they often have to change the Start of Care date to match the day they started caring for the patient. Seeing as it's a start date, it should be the first visit.
So, if you pull up a patient's record, and the SOC that is on the record is from last year, and there are lots of visits already in there, you probably have the wrong episode. What should you do?
Change the SOC date? NO!
Seriously. I know it's my job to fix mistakes, but let's use a little common fucking sense. I'm really getting sick of dealing with idiotic mistakes that wreck all kinds of havoc. Use your fucking brains, people. Please!

In other news, Curb Your Enthusiasm is back. It's long overdue.

I called the landlord when I got home from work today. Our bedroom wall is leaking. The ceiling has water stains all over it, and water was flowing out of the baseboard, all over a pile of my clothes and our boxspring. The landlord didn't seem too phased, and called back to tell me the guy upstairs would start replacing the roof.
All well and good, except that the freaking deck he put on is still not done. I'm pretty sure it's a reasonable expectation of renters that water will not flow out of your bedroom walls. I could be wrong. Add to that the beetles which are suddenly all over the living room, and the asbestos siding all over the yard, and you've got one unhappy tenant. I don't know what to do. I want out of this shit hole, but we're not ready to buy yet, and I really don't want to rent another apartment.
What to do. I just sent an email to the Weymouth Board of Health, so we'll have to wait and see what develops from that.

No comments: