Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Theories on phoentic organization

Or in other words, spending the evening listening to The Residents. I made mention of their album The Third Reich and Roll last week while filming the WAD movie, so I thought I'd make a mixed tape for J&F. Mmmmm, not for everyone, but I do love them.
I haven't made a mixed tape in a looong time. In this age of CDRs and MP3s, it seems like an archaic and painful process. But there's a simple pleasure, something familiar and comfortable about doing it the old way.
Which makes me think about how I got in to The Residents in the first place. It was back in my AOL days. I had struck up a IM friendship with some 40 year old divorcee in Quincy. Strickly platonic, mind you. Any old how, we were discussing music, and I was going on at some length about Nick Cave , who I had just really gotten into. ( OK, I admit TK Jr. was named after him, but I swear i didn't realize I had picked the same middle name as well. ) My online buddy was familiar with him, and said if I liked Cave, I'd probably dig The Rez as well. She related to me a story about the one time she heard one of their albums at a party. The host put the album on without preamble. The music creeped her out to no end. She told me that they had apparently recorded an entire album of children's songs, played on insturments purchased at Toys R Us.
Thus began a near obsessive search. S he didn't know the name of the album.
So, I started hitting the record stores. It's pretty damn hard to find a Resident's album in your run of the mill mall. They are fairly esoteric, which of course only heightened the appeal for me. I managed to pick up 2 albums in a shop, neither one being the one she mentioned. I was instantly hooked. What the Hell they have to do with Nick Cave, I'll never know. But I'm glad she turned me on to them.
BTW.. 19 albums later, I'm happy to report I managed to score the fabled disc. Goosebumps. Very creepy.
I do ramble on. Almost time for Rescue Me.

1 comment:

Rev. Molius said...

ok, i'm curious now.