Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Adderal Nation

So, today was my first day on ADD meds. Well, technically not my first day, as I tried some Adderal two weeks ago. But it was my first day on them with a script.
Lesson #1, gotta cut my caffeine intake. After my third cup of coffee this morning (2 prior to taking the pill, 1 after), I started feeling lightheaded and jittery. I had one of the clinicians take my blood pressure, and it was 144/88. Slightly hypertensive (401.9). I got a baseline yesterday, it was 110/80. So..... decaff, here I come.
Funny thing about ADD and amphetamines is the drugs generally have the opposite effect of what you would expect. Most people take speed, they get hyper. Someone like myself takes it, and they become more focused. I do feel a burst in energy, but thankfully I can direct that energy into completing a task or effectively multi-tasking, as opposed to my usual approach. That would be short bursts of intense work followed by long bouts of walking around, going for a smoke or surfing the net.
It'll be interesting to see the long term effects of taking meds. I'm hoping mostly that I'll finally develop some productive habits. Losing a few pounds would be a nice side effect as well. The prescription has to be renewed every month, which means a trip to the shrink. Probably not a bad thing either. I'm a big proponent of preventive mental health care. Every one should get an annual mental check up. It can't hurt you, and in fact could be very helpful. We might also start catching the crazies before they get too nutty. And that ain't a bad thing either.
I had a long chat with the guy upstairs today. That would be my new neighbor, not God. Not a bad guy. I feel much better after having talked about things. They are not trying to buy the house. The guy is a general contractor, and has been working on apartments he has rented for years. That's cool. The landlord OK'd building a patio over our porch, which means we might be able to get it screened in. That'd be super sweet. KG and I have been keeping our smoking strictly outside, and there's a bit of a skeeter problem. Her ass is covered in bites.
Now that I've mentioned smoking.....

1 comment:

Jase said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.