Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Costume junkies are people too

I was checking the 501st boards tonight, and found a link to a great doc in the works.Heart of an Empire is about the people behind the masks. The human side of the 501st. I haven't made a trip to a children's hospital yet, but I've heard many times that a lot of the guys are pretty torn up after leaving. I look at TK Junior, and I refuse to even contemplate anything bad happening to him. Albin Johnson, the founder of the 501st, has a little daughter. She's got a brain tumor.
Sometimes God kills little children.
Being in love, loving, being loved... they are wonderful things. They open you up to a world of hurt, of course. But it's good to know you can feel something strong enough to be hurt by it's loss. That's what life is all about, I suppose.
Tomorrow, life will be full of meetings and reports. I get to learn about all the wonders of Horizons 9.0. I get to summarize and share our error report. I get to listen to the nurses' union reps bitch about all the clerical work they have to do, and how the laptops are destroying their lives. I wish, I wish so much, that for one moment I could be like Darth Vader. I would stand behind the conference table and clench my fist. FK, the labor leader, would choke, and I would say simply "I find your lack of faith disturbing." I shit you not, the lure of the Dark Side is strong.
Alas, I will have to be content to share my wry observations and go about my business.
I'm going to have to miss my 3PM cookie break. But at least I get my cube to myself for the day. So I got that going for me!

No comments: