Monday, April 18, 2005

My frickin teeth!

OK, ROTS merchandise is everywhere. For me, it's like every Christmas ever. The supermarket, the department stores, even the Qwikimarts have Star Wars stuff everywhere! Just today I was going gaga over SW boxer shorts and bedding sets. Tons of new toys and games..... you can see how this could easily lead me to financial ruin.
So, being the responsible adult I am, I've decided to limit the bulk of my merch purchases to food tie ins. I figure I can eat the food, so it's not a total waste of money. True, it means eating a lot of things that aren't part of my daily diet: Sugar cereals, poptarts, Cheez its, fruit snacks, candy. I have a big box I've been putting the empty packages in. So far I've been doing pretty good. Or so I thought.
M&M now has a downloadable PDF checklist so you can keep track of ALL 72 FREAKING PACKAGES!!!! And Skittles... well they have 48. 48!! I can't eat that many fucking M&Ms, nor do I want to! Christ almighty, can't we draw a line somewhere? If all I want to do is collect stupid plastic wrappers adorned with my favorite SW guys, I have to eat at least... AT LEAST 120 bags of sugar!
Well, this kid ain't gonna do it. Nothing's stopping me from buying all the mini M&M tubes with character toppers, but I have to draw the line somewhere. This collecting thing is getting out of hand.
And that leads me to my point. Collecting Star Wars action figures when I was a kid meant buying toys to play with. Yes, I took good care of them, but I played with them. So did most normal kids. That's why the damn things are so collectable. No 30 year old psychos hoarding shopping carts of PVC figure, never to be released from their cardboard and mylar prisons. The originals are a hot item because 95% of them were opened and played with. THEY ARE FUCKING TOYS, GOD DAMMIT!
Now, every company that gets the SW license makes "limited edition collectors items." What the hell is that? You only make 500 of something so everyone wants one, no one plays with it, and some fat asshole buys them all up and sells that at a huge mark up. Screw that. It's all about fun for me. If I'm buying an action figure, I want to play with it. I want my kid to play it. You can have your exclusive "lava red Vader" and you can cram it up your ass. Me, I've got the Hasbro T-16 Skyhopper. And sometimes, when I'm alone, I fly it around the room and think about teleporting off this planet.
That said, if anyone has a lava red Vader, or some SW M&M wrappers they don't want, I'd love to have them :-)

1 comment:

Rev. Molius said...

didn't you just have some sort of root canal which would imply that maybe you should focus your obsession to something other than sugary sweet goodness?

hi (MP)

vaca = good thing.