Friday, April 01, 2005

They're after me lucky charms

So, we're doing a system upgrade at work this weekend. Our server has been shut down, all the laptops returned, all the desktops sleeping. Tomorrow we'll have a shiny new update. To prepare for a computerless weekend, I had but one task today. Print the Alpha list.
The Alpha list is a fearsome creature. A 500 page report that has been rumored to slow our network down fo hours, creating havoc for the brave souls in Operations. The legend of the Alpha List strikes fear in those who depend on it.
Well, I did a test run yesterday, and found myself with only a large document that took fifteen minutes to print and had no apparent impact on the speed of our network. Nice. So I wisely decided to wait until the end of the day today to print 2 copies. It'd take half an hour, most of the people who use that printer would be gone, and it would be more up-to-date than something I printed yesterday. Ha!
I warned folks I was running it at 3. Leave the printer alone, and all will be well. At 3, I ran it, and all was good. I checked on my report, I walked away to get some more paper. I returned a few moments later to discover the Leperchaun pulling the drawers out. She managed to jam the printer while impotently poking about. The report was getting all screwed up, the printer was off line, and the minutes were ticking by.
Molius to the rescue, the printer back on line. I manage to get my 2 copies printed, and only stayed half an hour late.
Tomorrow, I head back in to test the system. Make sure we can all continue to do our jobs badly. Then, it's off to the stores to check out all the ROTS merch. Do our taxes, and then head back to Cambridge to do some trooping. A full day for sure. Others will be spending the day actually putting our whole business back on line. To those about to spend a rainy Saturday not rocking, I salute you!

No comments: