Sunday, April 17, 2005

Spring cleaning

We had a very lovely Sunday. The baby stayed over his grandmother's Saturday night, so KG and I started the day off sleeping very late. Haven't been able to do that in quite some time.
I got up, coffeed myself awake and did some yardwork. There's two or three fall's worth of leaves piled up under every nook and crannie in the yard. Quite a bit of work, and still not done. KG bought some flowers for planting, and some yard stuff for the boy. Now that he's running around, I figured it would be nice to clean up the yard for him. Make it a friendly place.
The landlord stopped by on Saturday to snake the drains. Seems some concrete got down there last weekend when he was fixing the front steps. He expressed an interest in selling this place, and asked me if we had thought about buying at all. I hedged on an answer, since I wasn't sure where he was going with the conversation. Anyway, he mentioned he had offered it to our downstairs neighbors for a reasonable price. I'm aware that they are house hunting, but I also am aware that they are looking to get out of here. So, with a little prodding from KG's mom, my wheels started turning...
We could offer to buy this place from him. Move downstairs, make some repairs, and rent our apartment to help pay the mortgage. Our apartment is technically 3 bedrooms, and with new windows and doors could fetch at least a couple more hundred a month then what we're paying now. Or, even as is could go for a little more. That should, in theory, leave us with paying pretty much what we are now for a mortgage rather than rent.
Of course, this means two things. One, we have some work to do in order to get a mortgage. This is not my strength. We also need to look at some creative possibilities. That is my strength. So, we'll have to see what develops. The more I've thought about it, it would really be a good idea. This place could become a nice little home. If we're really lucky, perhaps we could manage to rent the upstairs to family or friend. My sis comes to mind.
Food for thought.
Speaking of food, I seriously have 5 boxes of Cheez Its in the house right now. All with SW characters on them. That's a lot of salty snacks. I bought a huge box of Apple Jax to get the lightsaber spoon, and ended up with a duplicate. Looks like RB will be getting a new spoon!
Pepsi has SW bottles now, so I bought a few of those. I also bought Crispix for the R2 bowl offer. Then at Walsmart I picked up SW sneakers for the boy. I couldn't resist getting the 4 saber Grievous for myself. The cashier looked at my items and said "Looks like someone's little boy like Star Wars." To which I replied "Nope, but Daddy does."

3 comments:

Rev. Molius said...

my spoon is red too. so RB can have it. i won't fight him for it :)

i still have yet to sample the dark M&M's. yet...

Ookami Snow said...

Dude, i just got corn pops, and I too got a red spoon. I smell conspiracy.

Michelle said...

Oh my, that sure is alot of cheezits...i approve.